Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Findings

Today I decided to try my hand at using Dvorak at work, which brought about some interesting (relatively) observations. I use a lot of ctrl-c and ctrl-v at work and it seems to be a much more convenient group of keystrokes using the QWERTY layout. I imagine I'll have to start using the right shift more than I do now, which appears to be never. That's probably not a good habit. I've noticed I have pretty bad habits with QWERTY. I generally use only one or two fingers and am not terribly consistent as far as which finger presses which letter. For the most part, though, I feel like I am developing pretty good habits with Dvorak as far as using the "right" fingers for each letter. It probably helps to not have the letters in front of me. If I can't remember where a letter is I think which finger presses it rather than looking for it. The only keys I have trouble with are the ones I use the least often (q, j, z, x). That makes good horse sense. I've only used any of those letters twice in this post and it was the same one! Perhaps I'll have to do some qjzx exercises (hey x what's happenin'). I could probably use some punctuation practice, too. Let us see what these keys do-/=\?+[]{}

Oh! I also accidentally found that ctrl-; enters the date in excel. Neato!

Words: 239
QST: 4:23:30 PM
QET: 4:28:00 PM
QWPM: 53.11
DST: 4:39:10 PM
DET: 4:52:44 PM
DWPM: 17.62

Edit: I should have said right ctrl not right shift, but I do need to use more right shift.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty stupid. I never really thought about using right ctrl for copying and pasting with Dvorak. I've been using two hands this whole time.
    Mac OS X has an option to change the keyboard to QWERTY when ctrl is held down. I use XP at work and Ubuntu at home, and as far as I know, neither OS gives that option.

    ReplyDelete

A-bore-t Me

Typing Graph

Typing Data

Future spot for miscellaneous typing data...